RelatedPosts Pray for Nigeria during Ramadan — NBBF Nigeria’s basketball prospect, Deborah Onu, dies from wrong diagnosis D’Tigers, D’Tigress can win an Olympic medal — Kida Plans have been concluded by the Nigeria Basketball Media Department to broadcast the final of the 2019 NBBF President Cup National Final 8 live.The live broadcast, which will start at 2pm, is one of the steps being taken by the NBBF board under the leadership of Engr. Musa Kida to see the return of basketball on television.The media representative on the board of the NBBF, Oni Afolabi, said basketball loving Nigerians now have the unique opportunity of watching their favourite sport from anywhere in the world.Afolabi said: “We know that television cannot replace the excitement of a match day experience, but we want to afford all lovers of the game the unique opportunity of watching their favourite players live from any part of the world.“Sincere thanks to the visionary leadership of the NBBF President and all the board members who have made this possible. “We hope this will be the first of many innovations by the board to keep growing the game.”According to plans already being put in place, the game will be streamed live on the YouTube and Facebook pages of the federation in a high definition format, which will be the first time games will be streamed live.Viewers can log on to the NBBF Facebook and YouTube pages (Nigeria Basketball Federation) of the federation to catch the third placed game and the final of the President Cup Final 8.Winner of the competition will represent the country at the 2020 NBA-FIBA Africa organised Basketball League.Tags: Musa Kida
RelatedPosts Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Premier League, La Liga back on DStv, GOtv Real Mallorca forward Luka Romero became the youngest player to make his La Liga debut .He came off the bench in his side’s 2-0 defeat at Real Madrid on Wednesday. Aged 15 years and 229 days, Romero came on in the 83rd minute to break a record lasting over 80 years held by former Celta Vigo player Francisco Bao Rodríguez, known as Sanson, who made his first La Liga appearance in 1939 aged 15 and 255 days.Romero had been an unused substitute in Mallorca’s three previous matches since the season resumed this month after a three-month pause due to the new coronavirus pandemic.The son of Argentine lower league player Diego Romero, the forward was born in Mexico but represents Argentina at youth level and has been at Mallorca’s academy since age 10, having moved to Spain aged two.Tags: DebutLa LigaLuka RomeroReal Mallorca
RelatedPosts Super Eagles soar on FIFA ranking FIFA ranking: Nigeria moves up by two spots, now world 29th Omeruo welcomes second child Ex-international Mutiu Adepoju, has described the death of his former Super Eagles colleague, Ajibade Babalade, as shocking and a great loss to Nigerian sports.The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Babalade, 48, died of cardiac arrest on Friday in Ibadan. Adepoju said Babalade was a consummate professional who gave his all to Nigerian football in his playing days and even after retirement.He said: “It was a shock to me and everyone around.“He was a very dedicated and professional player who gave his all to the service of fatherland.“Babalade gave his all for club and country in his days, which earned him the nickname ‘Kunde’ because he was a strong hard-tackling defender.”NAN reports that Ajibade was part of the Super Eagles team which finished in third-place at the 1992 African Nations Cup in Senegal, with Adepoju also a member of the team. He also helped the Shooting Stars Sports Club of Ibadan reach the final of the CAF Champions League in 1996.Babalade, just like Adepoju, played for 3SC.The former defender also played for the former Stationery Stores of Lagos, defunct Iwuanyanwu Nationale of Owerri, Africa Sports of Cote d’Ivoire, Strum Graz of Austria and Mohun Bagan AC of India.Tags: Ajibade BabaladeMutiu AdepojuSuper Eagles
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers expects new signing Philippe Coutinho to up the ante in the battle for first-team places but insists he will not push the player too hard, too soon. It was not an ideal introduction either as many of the players were away on international duty after midweek games so he had a “bridging session” on Thursday and took part in his first full training the following day. Unlike fellow January signing Daniel Sturridge, who came in at the beginning of the month from Chelsea and made his debut a few days later in the FA Cup, Coutinho is likely to be introduced gradually having had a recent injury at Inter. “He’s a young player I’ve got very high hopes for but Daniel was ready to come in and play – we’ll see how young Philippe goes,” said Rodgers. “He was with the medical team with Milan and he has come here and we have assessed where he is in terms of his fitness. “He trained with the group on Friday and we’ll observe him and see where he’s at but competition for places is what we want, that was the whole idea of bringing him in. “The key for us has always been to build a competitive squad that would enable us to challenge. “That will keep us going and allowing us to develop.” The 20-year-old Brazilian arrived from Inter Milan for £8.5million in the final few days of the transfer window, but he has only just spent his first few days training at Melwood after returning to Italy to finalise all the necessary aspects of the move. “He’s a top young player with big experiences and bringing him into the group adds that competition,” Rodgers said. “There’s no doubt that the team who have been involved in the last couple of games have been exceptional but it’s very important that we’ve got players in the side who are fighting to get into the team.” Press Association
The rider’s decision to partner the 8-1 shot looked to have been vindicated when he jumped into the lead at the second-last fence in unison with old-stager Finger Onthe Pulse. There was still work to do, but Dr Newland’s representative maintained an honest gallop to keep at bay Woolcombe Folly, who ran a fine race off joint-top weight, by nine lengths. Dr Newland said: “Sam surprised us (by riding Bobowen) as he was probably the least in form of the three. Bobowen ran a great race. He has a great track record at Market Rasen and that is very important. “That (the Galway Plate) is a possibility. We will see how he comes out of this and whether he gets into the race, which he should with a penalty.” Galaxy Rock, the 5-1 joint-favourite, suffered a fatal fall at the first fence. Press Association The Galway Plate on July 31 could be the next staging post for the Dr Richard Newland-trained seven-year-old after his Listed triumph on a balmy afternoon in Lincolnshire. Jockey Sam Twiston-Davies had the choice of three Dr Newland runners in the showpiece event and rather caught connections on the hop after he opted for the Jim Stewart-owned Bobowen. A trip to Ireland beckons for Bobowen after his stylish victory in the Betfred Summer Plate at Market Rasen.
City manager Malky Mackay had previously confirmed a deal had been agreed with the Bees, with the 23-year-old becoming a Bluebird on Monday after the necessary paperwork was completed. Moore told Cardiff City Player: “I’m delighted to be at Cardiff City – to play in the Premier League has always been my goal. “It’s exciting to think that I’ll be working with quality goalkeepers like David Marshall and Joe Lewis on a daily basis and I know that I can develop and learn from them.” Moore is set to be quickly reunited with his former team-mates as Cardiff travel to face Brentford in a pre-season friendly on Tuesday night. Moore started his career in the Southampton academy and had a spell with Farnborough Town before joining Brentford in 2009. He kept 13 clean sheets in 52 appearances last term. Mackay said: “We have been watching Simon for a year or so – he is a real up-and-coming goalkeeper. My thanks go to Brentford for the way they went about their business and we are delighted to get Simon in for the start of our season. “He is one for the future and we have three quality senior goalkeepers in our squad.” Moore becomes Cardiff’s third summer acquisition as the club prepare for their maiden Premier League season, with striker Andreas Cornelius and defender John Brayford having already arrived at Cardiff City Stadium. The Welsh club have also had an offer of around £9.5million accepted for Toulouse’s French international midfielder Etienne Capoue, and are hoping to convince the 25-year-old his future lies in south Wales, despite reports he is keen on a move to Spain. Cardiff have completed the signing of goalkeeper Simon Moore from Brentford on a four-year deal. Press Association
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has urged Cardiff to remain calm if they endure a troubled start to their debut Barclays Premier League season. Allardyce believes the newcomers should look to Southampton, who made a poor start to their return to the Premier League last season, for comfort if results go against them. “With the squad Cardiff have they’ll hopefully get the results they’re looking for. The challenge for them will be not getting too worried if they don’t start well,” he said. “The example of that is Southampton last season. Nigel Adkins eventually pulled them out of the bottom three superbly well. And his reward for that was the sack! “If it’s to be your first game in the Premier League, you’d want it at home, not away. “When we came up from the Championship we’d won more games away from home, but last season in the Premier League it was a huge task to pick up points away. “Your home form is what you need to get right to stay in the Premier League.” Cole finished the opener beautifully, collecting a pass from Matt Jarvis, turning and directing the ball into the bottom right corner of the net. The 31-year-old was otherwise wasteful, although Allardyce stresses that it was his movement that put him in positions to score. Joe Cole and Kevin Nolan were on target as the Hammers inflicted a 2-0 defeat on the Welsh club, who were making their first appearance in the top flight since 1962. Cardiff have spent close to £30million in the transfer market this summer but failed to trouble goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen at any point as West Ham coasted to victory. Press Association “Joe Cole’s an England player, timing his runs and knowing where to run is what he’s all about,” he said. “To have the opportunity to get a hat-trick in the first 45 minutes, well his hardest chance was the one he scored from.” Cardiff manager Malky Mackay took heart from the Bluebirds’ performance, even though they had to wait until late in the match for their first real chance which was skied over the crossbar by substitute Nicky Maynard. Mackay accepts Allardyce’s point that their form at Cardiff City Stadium will determine their Premier League future. “We were a match for West Ham in terms of the overall ebb and flow of the game,” he said. “Sam knows what he’s talking about and it was always going to be a tough game at Upton Park. I’ve played here so I knew what it would be like. “We need to make our stadium a fortress and have to pick up as many points as we can on the road. We just have to be slightly better than we were.”
Derby manager Nigel Clough says his club have not received an offer from Liverpool for teenage midfielder Will Hughes. It has been reported this week that the Reds are close to signing the 18-year-old, speculating that bids of £6million and £10million have been lodged for the England Under-21 international. Hughes certainly caught the eye last season as he established himself in the Derby first team, with Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and even Barcelona sending scouts to Pride Park to watch the Rams academy product. Press Association But Clough insists no offer has been made by Liverpool, or any club, for Hughes and he expects the talented youngster to still be his player when the transfer window closes on September 2. ”There’s obviously speculation about Will Hughes flying around but we have had no bids or contact from anyone. Nothing has changed,” former Liverpool striker Clough told reporters ahead of Derby’s Sky Bet Championship trip to Yeovil on Saturday. ”I cannot predict what is going to happen but I do not see it changing. I think it will be pretty much as we are when the window closes, unless there is somebody sitting there with an awful lot of money burning a hole in their pocket. ”If somebody comes in through the front door and makes an official enquiry or bid, we will have to react to it. But we are not in a situation where we have to do anything, which is lovely.” When asked about the £6million figure reported on Wednesday, Clough laughed and then said: ”Nobody knows what we want or what the fee is going to be because we have not got a specific valuation in mind. ”Would it be more than £6million? Yes, I think it is fair to say that. We just think it is going to be a very, very substantial figure to tempt him away.” Hughes has long been regarded as one of the brightest emerging talents in English football. He made his Championship debut for Derby at the age of 16 and made 38 appearances last season, including 36 starts. He would have played more games but for a groin injury that kept him out for two months. The teenager has started the Rams’ three league matches this season and played for England Under-21s against Scotland last week and impressed once again.
Sturridge showed his class with a moment of brilliance midway through the first half to secure a 1-0 victory at Aston Villa, receiving Jose Enrique’s left-wing pass before dancing past two defenders, rounding Brad Guzan and transferring his balance to poke home with his left foot. It is the second successive weekend in which the marksman has proved Liverpool’s match-winner having fired the Merseyside outfit to a 1-0 opening-day win over Stoke. Press Association Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes Daniel Sturridge has all the qualities to be one of the best strikers in the Barclays Premier League. Sturridge, fully fit after recovering from ankle injury sustained on England duty in May, found the net 11 times for the Reds over the second half of last season following his January move from Chelsea. And, after two goals in two games this term in the absence of the suspended Luis Suarez, Rodgers feels Sturridge has what it takes to rank among the finest in England’s top flight. “Daniel is a player who I believe can prove when he’s fit and playing that’s he’s one of the top strikers in the Premier League,” he said. “He’s got all the attributes – he’s super quick, got a wonderful touch, great movement and you see his finish and composure (for the goal). “He just needed an opportunity, I’d seen enough of him, he’s a young player who’s had a couple of difficult moves but it’s just about providing him with the opportunity and he’s really grown into the club since arriving in January. “His goals-to-game ratio is terrific so far and he just needs to keep working and keep his focus and he’ll do very well, I’m sure.” A sharper Liverpool bossed the opening 40 minutes but a late flurry from the hosts at the end of the first half set the tone for a second period which Villa dominated and could well have taken a share of the spoils. Liverpool’s new goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who saved a late penalty against Stoke, denied the in-form Christian Benteke with a superb one-handed stop in the 86th minute. “I was delighted with the players,” Rodgers added. “First half we controlled the ball well, controlled the spaces well, in the second half we had to control the zones and defend half a pitch, denying them the space to run into. “We scored a goal and could have had a few more, particularly in the first half, but overall it’s a terrific result. “It’s about winning and, for us, one-nil is as good as four or five-nil.” Despite defeat it is a promising start to the season for a youthful Villa side who battled against relegation last season, but have already shown huge progress this term. It was Villa’s third game in the space of a gruelling opening eight days of the new season, following victory at Arsenal and a midweek defeat at Chelsea. Boss Lambert was left to rue the demanding start but admitted he would have taken three points from those tough three matches beforehand. “I knew it would have an adverse reaction from Saturday-Wednesday’s games, I knew that, it was important we tried to hang in when Liverpool dominated for 30 minutes,” the Scot said. “It wasn’t until about the last 10 minutes of the first half we started to get our second wind. And then in the second half I thought we were excellent, we gave it a go. “We’ve played probably three teams I expect to be in that top group and we have given every one a game – we’ve won one and just got beaten in two. “But the progress is there for everyone to see, and that’s what I’m pleased about.” Lambert added: “It’s a big, big ask that, away to Arsenal and Chelsea and then Liverpool at home. That’s a big turnaround in a week. I’ve got nothing but praise. “If someone had said to me at the beginning (of the season) we’d take three points from the first three games I’d have bitten your hand off – and the real bonus is the way we’ve played.”
But Henderson reckons what they have displayed so far is only a fraction of what they are capable of. “They are fantastic. Their link-up play and one-twos was brilliant and they do that all the time in training,” he said. “Hopefully they can keep working on that, keep improving and keep getting the goals. “If that’s the case and they haven’t played that much then they can get even better. “They played a couple more before Luis got the ban but Luis has come back in and they’ve fitted together perfectly. “They know where each other’s going to be and they’ve been outstanding.” While Suarez was sidelined Sturridge led the line brilliantly and Henderson believes the striker benefited from the added responsibility and knowing he would be playing every week. “I think the main difference is he’s getting the opportunity every week to play in the Premier League – maybe he didn’t have that at Chelsea,” Henderson, who played with Sturridge at England Under-21 level, added. The pair were both on target in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Crystal Palace at Anfield to make it five goals between them in the two Barclays Premier League matches they have played together since Suarez returned from suspension. Because of that ban and injuries, the duo have not started that many games since Sturridge arrived from Chelsea in January. Press Association “He’s come here and the manager has put great confidence and belief in him and he’s shown what he can do and can give back. “His form is outstanding and he’s improving all the time with his awareness, his touch and his finishing. He’s got the lot, really. “Of course, he will learn a lot from Luis but he was brilliant when Luis wasn’t available as well. “So no matter whether he’s up there on his own or with Luis beside him he’ll be outstanding for the team and gives us some flair going forward.” England will hope Sturridge can transfer his club form to the international stage for the forthcoming World Cup qualifying double-header, especially as he missed the last two through injury. “I think he can be brilliant for England. There’s obviously two big games coming up and he can contribute a lot,” Henderson said. “He’s been sharp and getting goals. I think he’ll play a big part in the two games.” Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson believes there is still plenty to come from the strike partnership of Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge.