Assembling power

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

COVID-19: Jakarta monitors hundreds of citizens, discharges 100 after negative tests

first_img“A total of 100 patients in hospitals have been declared negative for COVID-19 and have been discharged from hospital.”Read also: COVID-19: Jakarta to suspend Car Free Day for two weeks as part of containment measuresThe agency recorded that as of Tuesday afternoon 3,976 people had contacted the coronavirus call center provided by the provincial administration.Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan previously recommended citizens stay alert. People feeling any symptoms of COVID-19 or who have encountered someone showing symptoms have been urged to contact the call center at 112 or 119.The governor had issued a decree urging officials, including mayors, agency heads and heads of districts and subdistricts, to raise public awareness about the risks of the disease and its prevention.The Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Achmad Yurianto, said a 53-year-old foreign citizen who had tested positive for COVID-19, identified as Case 25, died early Wednesday morning after nearly three days of treatment.On Wednesday evening, health authorities announced there were then a total of 34 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country. (dfr/trn)Topics : The Jakarta Health Agency is monitoring the health conditions of hundreds of individuals across the city, while 100 patients have been discharged from hospital after testing negative for COVID-19.The agency’s teams are currently monitoring 70 individuals, after they completed the process on 331 others, said Jakarta Health Agency head Widyastuti.“As many as 97 patients are still being observed in hospitals. In the meantime, another 100 patients have been discharged from hospitals after testing negative for COVID-19,” she said during a press briefing at City Hall in Jakarta on Wednesday.last_img read more

Mount Sinabung erupts again after year of inactivity

first_imgAfter being inactive for more than a year, Mount Sinabung in Karo regency, North Sumatra erupted early on Saturday morning, spewing ash 2,000 meters into the air.The volcanic ash reached Berastagi, which is located around 30 kilometers from the volcano.Muhammad Nurul Asrori of the Sinabung observation post said the volcano began erupting at 1:58 a.m. and continued for one hour. He advised local residents and tourists to stay outside a 3-km radius from the mountain top. “We need to stay cautious because Mt. Sinabung’s status is still at level III, Siaga [Alert],” Nurul said.There were no casualties in the eruption, but several local residents living around the volcano were shocked by the event. The ash covered the residents’ plantation and killed crops.Read also: Threat of Mount Sinabung eruption threatens Lake Lau Kawar tourismA villager of Naman Teran, Pelin Depari, said residents living 5 km from the volcano could hear the mountain rumbling, although they could not see the eruption directly because Sinabung was covered by fog. Topics :center_img “It is traumatic because it has been a year since the last time Mt. Sinabung erupted,” said Pelin on Saturday.He added villagers were now cleaning their houses and fields of the volcanic ash.Karo Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) acting chairman Natanael Perangin-angin said the last time Sinabung erupted was in June 2019. “We thought we were safe. I hope there won’t be another eruption.”He added that at least four districts were affected by the eruption, namely Naman Teran, Merdeka, Berastagi and Dolat Rayat.Although the volcanic ash covered the districts, authorities said no residents had been displaced by the eruption, Natanael went on to say.Officials of the disaster agency, along with local military and police personnel, had distributed 1,500 masks and assisted locals in cleaning the volcanic ash. The local fire department dispatched five trucks to help the cleaning.Read also: Mountains rumbling: Five most active volcanoes in the archipelagoThe 2,460-meter Mt. Sinabung roared back to life in 2010 for the first time in 400 years. After another period of inactivity, it erupted once more in 2013 and has remained highly active since.Sixteen people died in one of Sinabung’s eruptions in 2014. Two years later, another eruption killed seven people.Apart from Mt. Sinabung, volcanic authorities have also placed Mt. Karangetang in North Sulawesi at alert level Siaga.Indonesia is home to about 130 volcanoes because of its position on the Ring of Fire, a belt of tectonic plate boundaries circling the Pacific Ocean where frequent seismic activity occurs. (kuk)last_img read more