Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion In reference to Frank Coleman’s March 6 letter, there are unions and there are unions. Private-sector unions are and have been badly needed over the years, i.e., to counter the enormous profit pressure on company management. Public-sector unions serve little legitimate purpose, since bureaucrat management is not under similar pressure to control costs. You simply gradually and quietly increase taxes as salaries go up and employees are added.Books have been written arguing the various pros and cons of the above, but fundamentally cost pressure is the issue.Over time, the impact has become huge. For example, the area surrounding the seat of federal government (Washington, D.C.) is by far the richest locale of the nation. Local public-sector workers may manipulate the bureaucratic system and retire on pensions several times that of similar private-sector workers. A private-sector worker can be terminated almost at will; public-sector workers almost cannot be terminated. Now I recognize this is a highly charged, controversial issue. But private and public unions are extremely different in purpose and impact; it could be argued that they should not even be grouped under the same word, union.Clyde MaughanSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Motorcyclist injured in Thursday afternoon Schenectady crashEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusSchenectady man dies following Cutler Street dirt bike crash
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
All of the foreign workers would be subject to health protocol and put in quarantine before they were allowed to work on the project site, Ali said.”They’re working here to support investment in Southeast Sulawesi, so that our economy can recover after the COVID-19 pandemic,” he added.Read also: Police slammed for arresting producer of video showing 49 Chinese workers arriving in KendariIn April, Ali and the Southeast Sulawesi Legislative Council (DPRD) had refused entry to the foreign workers, supposedly due to concerns over COVID-19 transmission. Southeast Sulawesi Governor Ali Mazi has allowed some 500 Chinese workers to work on nickel smelter projects in the province’s Konawe regency after previously blocking their entry.Ali said he had given permission to the Chinese workers after receiving orders from Jakarta.”Regional administrations should not contradict orders from the central government,” Ali told Kompas TV on Tuesday. The Chinese workers were hired by Chinese-backed mining company PT Virtue Dragon Nickel Industry (VDNI) and PT Obsidian Stainless Steel (OSS) to install 33 pieces of smelter equipment belonging to PT OSS in Southeast Sulawesi.The companies said they had to bring in the Chinese workers because of a lack of capable local workers and said that, once the equipment was ready, the company would hire 3,000 local workers.The foreign workers were scheduled to be in Indonesia for six months and return to their home country once the installation was complete.PT VDNI external affairs manager Indrayanto said the recruitment process for the local workers had already been completed.”If the 500 foreign workers from China were to be denied entry, then around 3,000 local workers were at risk of losing their jobs,” Indrayanto said on May 11.The foreign workers are expected to come to Konawe gradually in several batches. The first 146 people are scheduled to arrive on June 23. (nal)Topics :
After being inactive for more than a year, Mount Sinabung in Karo regency, North Sumatra erupted early on Saturday morning, spewing ash 2,000 meters into the air.The volcanic ash reached Berastagi, which is located around 30 kilometers from the volcano.Muhammad Nurul Asrori of the Sinabung observation post said the volcano began erupting at 1:58 a.m. and continued for one hour. He advised local residents and tourists to stay outside a 3-km radius from the mountain top. “We need to stay cautious because Mt. Sinabung’s status is still at level III, Siaga [Alert],” Nurul said.There were no casualties in the eruption, but several local residents living around the volcano were shocked by the event. The ash covered the residents’ plantation and killed crops.Read also: Threat of Mount Sinabung eruption threatens Lake Lau Kawar tourismA villager of Naman Teran, Pelin Depari, said residents living 5 km from the volcano could hear the mountain rumbling, although they could not see the eruption directly because Sinabung was covered by fog. Topics : “It is traumatic because it has been a year since the last time Mt. Sinabung erupted,” said Pelin on Saturday.He added villagers were now cleaning their houses and fields of the volcanic ash.Karo Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) acting chairman Natanael Perangin-angin said the last time Sinabung erupted was in June 2019. “We thought we were safe. I hope there won’t be another eruption.”He added that at least four districts were affected by the eruption, namely Naman Teran, Merdeka, Berastagi and Dolat Rayat.Although the volcanic ash covered the districts, authorities said no residents had been displaced by the eruption, Natanael went on to say.Officials of the disaster agency, along with local military and police personnel, had distributed 1,500 masks and assisted locals in cleaning the volcanic ash. The local fire department dispatched five trucks to help the cleaning.Read also: Mountains rumbling: Five most active volcanoes in the archipelagoThe 2,460-meter Mt. Sinabung roared back to life in 2010 for the first time in 400 years. After another period of inactivity, it erupted once more in 2013 and has remained highly active since.Sixteen people died in one of Sinabung’s eruptions in 2014. Two years later, another eruption killed seven people.Apart from Mt. Sinabung, volcanic authorities have also placed Mt. Karangetang in North Sulawesi at alert level Siaga.Indonesia is home to about 130 volcanoes because of its position on the Ring of Fire, a belt of tectonic plate boundaries circling the Pacific Ocean where frequent seismic activity occurs. (kuk)
RelatedPosts Pray for Nigeria during Ramadan — NBBF Nigeria’s basketball prospect, Deborah Onu, dies from wrong diagnosis D’Tigers, D’Tigress can win an Olympic medal — Kida Plans have been concluded by the Nigeria Basketball Media Department to broadcast the final of the 2019 NBBF President Cup National Final 8 live.The live broadcast, which will start at 2pm, is one of the steps being taken by the NBBF board under the leadership of Engr. Musa Kida to see the return of basketball on television.The media representative on the board of the NBBF, Oni Afolabi, said basketball loving Nigerians now have the unique opportunity of watching their favourite sport from anywhere in the world.Afolabi said: “We know that television cannot replace the excitement of a match day experience, but we want to afford all lovers of the game the unique opportunity of watching their favourite players live from any part of the world.“Sincere thanks to the visionary leadership of the NBBF President and all the board members who have made this possible. “We hope this will be the first of many innovations by the board to keep growing the game.”According to plans already being put in place, the game will be streamed live on the YouTube and Facebook pages of the federation in a high definition format, which will be the first time games will be streamed live.Viewers can log on to the NBBF Facebook and YouTube pages (Nigeria Basketball Federation) of the federation to catch the third placed game and the final of the President Cup Final 8.Winner of the competition will represent the country at the 2020 NBA-FIBA Africa organised Basketball League.Tags: Musa Kida
DES MOINES — Two more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Cerro Gordo County, bringing the total number of cases to ten in the county. The Iowa Department of Public Health this afternoon confirmed a total of 66 new positive cases of coronavirus for a total of 614 positive cases. Two more deaths have been reported, both in Linn County, with the victims being older adults, aged 61-80. The two Cerro Gordo County cases were reported in middle-aged adults, 41-to-60 years old. The additional cases raise the number of COVID-19 positive tests in north-central Iowa to 18. Besides the ten in Cerro Gordo County, there have been three positive cases in Hancock County, two in Mitchell County, and single cases in Butler, Kossuth and Wright counties.