Press Association Sunderland owner Ellis Short is closing in on a new director of football as he plans for the long-term future. Short, who dispensed with De Fanti’s services in January, is keen to persist with the model he adopted ahead of last summer’s overhaul while Paolo Di Canio was still manager. However, the 14 signings, 13 of them from overseas, made under the Italian failed to make the desired impact during the early months of the campaign and Di Canio was shown the door in September. De Fanti lasted a further four months, but it soon became apparent that new boss Gus Poyet wanted more of a say in the club’s January signings with then Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt his number one target. Poyet’s involvement in the winter transfer window – along with chief executive Margaret Byrne – proved time-consuming, and help on that front would be welcome, although perhaps on a different basis to the formula which existed on his arrival. It is understood the club is ready to hand Lee Congerton the chance to succeed Roberto De Fanti at the Stadium of Light and oversee the club’s recruitment wing. Former Chelsea chief scout Congerton is currently employed as Hamburg’s technical director after following Frank Arnesen from Stamford Bridge to Germany.
Mark Hughes says he has been hugely impressed by Adel Taarabt – and believes there is plenty more to come from the Moroccan.Taarabt was out of favour at QPR prior to Hughes’ appointment as manager and the club had been open to offers for him for some time.Taarabt has impressed.But the new boss is quick to point out the 22-year-old’s relative lack of experience and believes he can make him a better player.AdChoices广告Hughes said: “I’m enjoying working with him. He’s a very bright kid, he’s good around the place, and I’ve been really, really impressed with him.“I think there’s more to come. With the right work and the right direction he could be more effective than he has been in the past.“It’s his first season in the Premier League and we want to make sure he improves year on year. I think with my and my staff’s help he’ll be a better player.”Taarabt’s recent display against Wolves was an encouraging sign and belied his reputation for immaturity.With Rangers down to 10 men following the sending-off of Djibril Cisse he produced some of his best moments of the season – giving Hughes food for thought.“I was pleased because he took on responsibility and that’s what you want from players,” Hughes explained.“He understood the situation and that he had to really drive the game for us and that’s what he did.“I like players who are able to understand what’s going on and are able to take responsibility in a game. Some shy away from it but he certainly didn’t.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
SIMI VALLEY – A local man who was stunned by a police Taser device after he drove his car into someone’s yard last week has died, authorities said today. The Ventura County Coroner’s office said Raymundo Guerrero Garcia, 33, was pronounced dead at 11 a.m. Monday. An autopsy was conducted Thursday, but more tests are needed to determine the cause of death and whether it was related to the Taser or some other cause, officials said. Garcia was driving recklessly about 9:30 p.m. May 15 and refused to stop for police. He drove through the fence of a home in the 800 block of Chelsea Court and into the back yard, and refused to get out of his vehicle, police said. He became combative and aggressively resisted the officers, who used the Taser device to control him, police said. Officers then noticed he was in medical distress, and paramedics took him to Simi Valley Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition before he died six days later. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Real Madrid tried to sign Chelsea star Eden Hazard during his time at Lille, according to reports in Belgium.Hazard has been linked with a move to Real Madrid in the near future, with reports suggesting that he may come in as a direct replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo – who is attracting the interest of Manchester United.Chelsea have given no indication that they would be willing to part with Hazard, who was voted the PFA’s Young Player of the Year last season after scoring 14 league goals.However, this has not stepped speculation growing that Real Madrid are keen on the 23-year-old.And, according to Belgian newspaper DH, this is not the first time that Real Madrid have attempted to lure Hazard to the Bernabeu.DH claim that the La Liga side were after Hazard back in 2012 – during his final days at Lille – but Chelsea were able to fend off Real in the race for the Belgium international. 1 Chelsea star Eden Hazard