New Zealand police warn public to beware of Virat Kohli’s Indian team in funny post

first_imgVirat Kohli’s Team India have asserted their dominance over New Zealand in the ongoing five-match ODI series. The visitors are leading 2-0 after two comprehensive wins in Napier and Mount Maunganui and will be hoping to seal an unassailable 3-0 lead when the two teams meet in the third ODI on Monday.India had arrived in New Zealand after sealing their first-ever bilateral ODI series win in Australia. However, the series against New Zealand was expected to be one of their toughest tests in the World Cup year, considering the Asian giants’ not-so-good record in New Zealand.However, New Zealand have failed the trial by spin so far as the spin twins of Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal have bamboozled the Black Caps, picking up 12 wickets between them in two matches.Indian batsmen have backed up the bowlers’ good efforts as the top five are fit and firing.India’s dominance in the ongoing series is so much so that New Zealand police Eastern District Police have come up with a funny post, taking a dig at the Kane Williamson-led home team.Shortly after New Zealand were handed a 90-run thrashing in the second ODI, the Facebook page of Eastern District Police wrote: “Police would like to issue a warning to members of the public about the exploits of a group touring the country at the moment.”Witnesses report seeing this group badly assault an innocent looking bunch of New Zealanders in both Napier and Mt Maunganui in the last week. Extra care should be taken if you are carrying anything that looks like a cricket bat or ball.”advertisementNew Zealand captain Kane Williamson said the hosts were left frustrated after two successive defeats in the ODI series. The third-ranked ODI side will face a must-win situation when the two teams meet for the third ODI at Bay Oval.”Little frustrating, not so much the loss but how we are losing is the problem. Credit to India. Some of the dismissals were a result of us going too hard maybe. If we had wickets in hand, you never know but we didn’t have wickets in hand. Those are the lessons that we need to take ahead,” Williamson said.Meanwhile, New Zealand head coach Gary Stead heaped praise on Virat Kohli’s wrecker-in-chief, Kuldeep Yadav but expressed confidence that the Black Caps will be able to find ways to tackle the spin threat in the remainder of the ODI series.”I have faith in our guys – we played the spin bowling very well against Sri Lanka and they had a lot of spinners as well, so it’s not like we can’t, we just haven’t done it effectively. The two wrist-spinners they have here are very effective bowlers – our challenge is to find a way to be better,” Stead said.Also Read | Kuldeep Yadav a clever bowler, uses googly very well: New Zealand coach Gary SteadAlso Read | Virat Kohli charms fans with autographs after India win 2nd ODI vs New ZealandAlso Read | Mohammad Azharuddin praises India’s dominant performance vs New Zealand in 2nd ODIAlso See:last_img read more

Spotted Sea Leviathan Visits Port of Los Angeles

first_imgImage Courtesy: CMA CGMCMA CGM George Washington, a newly built ultra large container vessel (ULCV) owned by French shipping giant CMA CGM, arrived recently at the Port of Los Angeles on its maiden voyage. Built at Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) shipyard in South Korea, the 14,414 TEU boxship was delivered to CMA CGM on April 20, the company’s data shows.CMA CGM G. Washinton, which flies the flag of the United Kingdom, features a length of 366 meters and a width of 48.2 meters.The giant boxship has a market value of USD 103.28 million, according to information provided by VesselsValue.Currently, CMA CGM’s fleet is made up of 444 vessels with a combined capacity of 2.208 million TEUs.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

SWN returning to thump Wednesday Elsipogtog War Chief

first_img(Members of an RCMP tactical until involved in Oct. 17 raid on anti-fracking camp blocking SWN’s vehicles)APTN National NewsELSIPGOTOG FIRST NATION, NB–SWN Resources Canada is planning to resume its controversial shale gas seismic exploration work on Wednesday, according to Elsipogtog War Chief John LeviLevi said SWN’s lawyer Michael Connors, who is a partner with East Coast law firm McInnes Cooper, met with several dozen people from Elsipogtog First Nation and the surrounding communities late Sunday afternoon.Levi said Connors told the people that SWN would withdraw a lawsuit against several community members if the Houston-based firm was allowed to finish its exploration work unimpeded.“We said no, we are going to be there,” said Levi, in an interview with APTN National News. “What we told him was we are going to be there Wednesday.”The meeting was held at a longhouse erected at an anti-fracking encampment used over the past summer. The area sits off Hwy 116 near Elsipogtog First Nation.Connors told the people in the longhouse that SWN would be working for 14 days and warned them not to block the company’s movements or they would face violence.“I’m not asking anyone not to protest, but I am asking that we don’t do anything that would lead to violence,” said Connors, according to video of the meeting posted on Facebook by Brian Milliea. “Unfortunately, blockades lead to violence.”Connors said SWN just wants to finish its work and leave the area.“We don’t want violence and if we can get through two weeks then we will go away for awhile,” said Connors. “I am not saying we are not going to come back, we may not come back, but I think everybody needs some time, you know a break.”Levi told Connors that the community would not be backing down.“We are going to be there. Whatever happens, the ball is in your court. Whatever happens, you’re the ones who are going to make the calls,” said Levi, according to the nine minute video. “Us as Natives and the protectors of this land, we are going to protect it, it is our land, we never ceded this land and we are going to protect it before these waters are contaminated.”A woman in the crowd, who identified as non-Native, also pledged opposition to the exploration.“As non-Natives we are going to protect the future of our children,” said the woman, in the video. “So non-Natives and Natives are together.”SWN has faced intense and prolonged opposition to its shale gas exploration work around Elsipogtog First Nation which exploded after heavily armed RCMP tactical units raided an anti-fracking camp along Route 134 on Oct. 17. The camp was blocking several of SWN’s exploration vehicles in a compound owned by JD Irving Ltd. in Rexton, NB.While the raid freed SWN’s trucks, it sparked day-long clashes between Elsipogtog residents and the RCMP. Several RCMP vehicles were torched and about 40 people were arrested.A camp still remains on Route 134, which sits about 15 kilometres southeast of Elsipogtog.SWN was initially expected to resume its exploration work last Monday. Elsipogtog Chief Aaron Sock told reporters last Sunday that SWN’s lawyers had informed him the company was planning to finish its seismic exploration work along Hwy 11.While community members mobilized to confront the company, the thumper trucks, which are used in the seismic exploration, did not appear.Levi said Connors told the meeting that the company would be laying out geophones on a section of Hwy 11 on Tuesday and that the thumper trucks would return on Wednesday.Geophones pick up the vibrations from thumper trucks to create imaging of shale gas deposits.The exploration area is about 46 kilometres north of Elsipogtog.People in Elsipogtog and surrounding communities fear the discovery of shale gas would lead to hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. The controversial extraction method is viewed by many as posing a dire threat to water sources.“They are pretty desperate for trying to arrange something like that,” said Levi. “We are not taking the bait and we are going to be there protecting mother earth.”news@aptn.calast_img read more

General Court of the EU orders bloc to remove Hamas from terror

first_imgThe General Court of the European Union ruled on Wednesday that the inclusion of the group was not based on a “concrete examination” of Hamas’s acts but on “imputations derived from the media and the internet”. Hamas has been contesting its inclusion on the list, maintained since it was created in 2001. The court said the move was technical and was not a reassessment of Hamas’ classification as a terrorist group. It said a funding freeze on the group would continue for the time being. Also Read – Pro-Govt supporters rally as Hong Kong’s divisions deepenThe foreign office of the EU reacted by sayng “We respect the General Court of the European Union’s judgement delivered on Wednesday annulling measures against Hamas, namely the designation of Hamas as a terrorist organisation and the freezing of Hamas’ funds. This legal ruling is clearly based on procedural grounds and it does not imply any assessment by the Court of the substantive reasons for the designation of Hamas as a terrorist organisation. It is a legal ruling of a court, not a political decision taken by the EU governments. The EU continues to uphold the Quartet principles”. Also Read – Pak Army ‘fully prepared’ to face any challenge: Army spokesmanIt added “The EU institutions are studying carefully the ruling and will decide on the options open to them. They will, in due course, take appropriate remedial action, including any eventual appeal to the ruling. In case of an appeal the restrictive measures remain in place”. On December 27, 2001 the Council of the European Union adopted a common position and a regulation to combat terrorism. These measures require the freezing of the funds of those people and entities included on a list adopted and regularly updated by Council decisions. The same day the Council adopted its first decision establishing that list. By this decision the Council included Hamas on the list and has maintained them on that list ever since. The General Court said “The case-law of the Court requires that an EU decision to freeze funds is based not on factual elements that the Council may have derived from the press or the internet, but on elements which have been concretely examined and confirmed.”last_img read more

Sept exports fall 2433 in 10th straight monthly dip

first_imgContracting for the 10th month in a row, India’s merchandise exports dipped 24.33 per cent in September to $21.84 billion, mainly due to steep fall in shipments of petroleum products, iron ore, and engineering goods amid tepid global demand.The imports too shrank 25.42 per cent to $32.32 billion in September on yearly basis, thus narrowing the trade gap to $10.47 billion from $14.47 billion recorded in the same month of 2014. Exports in September 2014 were valued at $28.86 billion. The cumulative exports during the first half of 2015-16 have been valued at $132.93 billion versus $161.39 billion in the same period of last year. Exports were down 17.36 per cent yera-on-year in the first half of 2015-16. Also Read – Punjab & Sind Bank cuts MCLR by up to 20 basis pointsAs per the data released by the Commerce Ministry, the trade gap or trade deficit during April-September 2015-16 has narrowed to $67.99 billion as against $72.69 billion in the same period last fiscal. The data further showed that oil imports during September were valued at $6.62 billion, down 54.53 per cent year-on – year. Oil imports during April-September stood at $48.128 billion which were 41.58 per cent lower than that of $82.378 billion in the corresponding period last year.  On export front, shipments of petroleum products shrank 60.35 per cent to $2.44 billion while that of iron ore declined by 40.37 per cent to 9.47 million. A sharp decline in exports of engineering products was also witnessed in September. The shipments declined by 22.81 per cent to $5 billion from $6.5 billion in the year ago period.  Also Read – ‘The great gold bull market has begun’The decline in exports in September is the steepest since March 2015 when the shipments shrunk by 21.06 per cent. Expressing disappointment over the September numbers, Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) President S C Ralhan said the decline of 17.6 per cent in first six months of the fiscal will put enormous pressure even in realising the export figure which India achieved in 2014-15. “As against seven sectors which were in positive out of 30 for which disaggregated data is available for August, the number of sectors has further compressed to six only for the month of September,” he said.Ralhan however, expressed the hope that export numbers in coming months would be better following cut in interest rate by the RBI and encouraging IIP and manufacturing data of August. The data showed that non-oil imports during September were estimated at $25.697 billion which were 10.68 per cent lower than $28.76 billion in the same month of 2014.last_img read more

24yearold Rifleman from Darjeeling killed in Rajouri IED blast

first_imgDarjeeling: Darjeeling lost a brave son in an IED explosion near the Line of Control at the Nowshera sector in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district on Friday. His mortal remains will arrive home on Sunday. Two explosions had taken place near Roopmati forward post in Pukkharni area at 4:35 pm and 6:10 pm respectively on Friday. The explosions killed Major S J Nair and Rifleman Jiwan Gurung. 24-year-old Rifleman Jiwan Gurung hails from Lamahatta in Darjeeling. He had joined the Indian Army a little more than four years ago. He is survived by his mother Poonam Gurung. His mortal remains will arrive at Bagdogra Airport on Sunday and will proceed to Lamahatta where his last rites will be performed amidst full military honours. Binay Tamang, Chairman of the GTA, extending condolences to the bereaved families stated: “Gorkhas have been sacrificing their lives protecting the borders of this nation.”last_img read more

Where is Sunwing headed next Brand new Sun destination just announced

first_img Share Where is Sunwing headed next? Brand new Sun destination just announced Travelweek Group Posted by TORONTO — Sunwing’s newest destination is a tiny island known for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant marine life and pristine beaches, all of which are must-haves on Canadians’ vacation checklists.The sun-soaked island of Tobago has just been announced as the tour operator’s latest destination for this winter season. Upon launching from Toronto, the new direct service will mark the first time Sunwing is offering the Caribbean island, and will also make it the only Canadian leisure carrier to offer direct service.Flights will operate on Thursdays between Dec. 20, 2018 and April 18, 2019 inclusive.“We are delighted to be offering our customers even more choice from Toronto this winter with the addition of the island of Tobago,” said Andrew Dawson, President of Tour Operations. “Offering beach relaxation, warm Caribbean hospitality and a wide range of tours and excursions to experience, we’re sure that Tobago will prove to be a popular addition to our roster.”More news:  Sunwing ready to launch Mazatlán-Quebec City direct this winterOn the impact Sunwing’s flights will have on the island, Nadine Stewart-Phillips, Secretary for Tourism, Culture and Transportation for Tobago, said: “The Tobago House of Assembly welcomes Sunwing to Tobago. Sunwing’s flight and hotel package offering will significant enhance our efforts in tourism at all levels.”Sunwing will offer a number of resorts on the island to complement the new flights, including the upcoming Starfish Tobago Resort, opening this December. This family-friendly resort combines an enviable beachfront location with varied accommodations, complimentary sports and activities such as sailing, and two on-site restaurants. There’s also Magdalena Grand Beach and Golf Resort located on a beautiful stretch of Pigeon Point Beach, which features luxury accommodations, three pools, hiking trails and an on-site PGA-designed, 18-hole, 72-par golf course.All Sunwing packages to Tobago include return airfare and airport transfers, accommodations and the services of a Sunwing representative. Groups of 10 adults can receive special prices, added values and reduced deposits. For more information on Group deals, go to https://www.sunwing.ca/Pages/en/group-quote.center_img Tags: Sunwing, Tobago << Previous PostNext Post >> Thursday, October 18, 2018 last_img read more