Australian regulators give big boost to batteries, demand response

first_imgAustralian regulators give big boost to batteries, demand response FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renew Economy:Tesla and other proponents of virtual power plants and demand management schemes have scored a significant win after the country’s main energy market rule maker gave its support to the idea that they can compete freely on the wholesale electricity market.The decision announced by the Australian Energy Market Commission on Thursday is likely to encourage new players in the market to aggregate solar and battery storage installed in homes and businesses, as well as load controls, in a major shift to the way demand and supply is managed.It is also likely to encourage proponents of technologies that would manage the charging of electric vehicles, and the use of their combined battery capacity in the grid, and it could encourage peer-to-peer trading.In short, it means that customers with battery storage and electric vehicles can strike contracts with providers other than their main retailers to provide power to the grid when needed. It sets a signal that the Australian grid is finally moving to embrace 21st century technologies.That said, the AEMC – after years of deliberation and after initially rejecting the idea – has only given approval in principle. The idea still awaits a specific rule request that will likely repeat the battle between the proponents of new technologies, and those locked in the past.The decision by the AEMC in its Reliability Frameworks Review shapes up a major victory for the likes to Tesla, sonnen, Simec Zen, Reposit, Redback, Sunverge, and others who have argued for the development of “virtual power plants”. These are essentially rooftop solar and battery storage installations located “behind the meter” in homes and businesses which are connected by software. These “distributed energy resources” can be harnessed to help moderate prices and meet demand peaks.More: Win for Tesla, batteries, EVs and smart tech in Australian gridlast_img read more

South Africa to let places of worship reopen from June

first_img“This pandemic has … taken a toll on us emotionally and spiritually. It has shaken our sense of well-being and security. Many of us are anxious and fearful of both the present and the future,” Ramaphosa said in a televised address.”We have a responsibility to…take care of the spiritual, psychological and emotional well-being of all South Africans.”South Africa will move to “level three” of its five-level lockdown system from June, allowing the vast majority of the economy to return to full capacity.Ramaphosa, who has been under pressure from rival political parties and industries to ease the restrictions, said social distancing will have to be observed and all worshippers and participants will have to wear face masks.He added that any religious rituals that carry even the slightest possibility of exposing worshippers to risk should be avoided, and where they form an essential part of religious practice, sanitization is paramount. Topics : South Africa’s churches and other places of worship can reopen their doors from June, but will be limited to 50 people, President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Tuesday as coronavirus lockdown rules are further eased.Africa’s most industrialized economy has been largely shut since late March, when the government enforced restrictions to stem the spread of the coronavirus, which has so far infected 23,615 people in South Africa and killed 481.Some churches responded by moving to radio, television and online so that people could worship from home.last_img read more

Clough: No bids for Hughes

first_imgDerby manager Nigel Clough says his club have not received an offer from Liverpool for teenage midfielder Will Hughes. It has been reported this week that the Reds are close to signing the 18-year-old, speculating that bids of £6million and £10million have been lodged for the England Under-21 international. Hughes certainly caught the eye last season as he established himself in the Derby first team, with Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and even Barcelona sending scouts to Pride Park to watch the Rams academy product. Press Associationcenter_img But Clough insists no offer has been made by Liverpool, or any club, for Hughes and he expects the talented youngster to still be his player when the transfer window closes on September 2. ”There’s obviously speculation about Will Hughes flying around but we have had no bids or contact from anyone. Nothing has changed,” former Liverpool striker Clough told reporters ahead of Derby’s Sky Bet Championship trip to Yeovil on Saturday. ”I cannot predict what is going to happen but I do not see it changing. I think it will be pretty much as we are when the window closes, unless there is somebody sitting there with an awful lot of money burning a hole in their pocket. ”If somebody comes in through the front door and makes an official enquiry or bid, we will have to react to it. But we are not in a situation where we have to do anything, which is lovely.” When asked about the £6million figure reported on Wednesday, Clough laughed and then said: ”Nobody knows what we want or what the fee is going to be because we have not got a specific valuation in mind. ”Would it be more than £6million? Yes, I think it is fair to say that. We just think it is going to be a very, very substantial figure to tempt him away.” Hughes has long been regarded as one of the brightest emerging talents in English football. He made his Championship debut for Derby at the age of 16 and made 38 appearances last season, including 36 starts. He would have played more games but for a groin injury that kept him out for two months. The teenager has started the Rams’ three league matches this season and played for England Under-21s against Scotland last week and impressed once again. last_img read more