$29 million grant recipient highlights ongoing needs

first_img AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis  57 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Howard Lake | 6 August 2009 | News $29 million grant recipient highlights ongoing needs The grant of $29 million from the Bill Melinda Gates Foundation to Concern Worldwide has prompted Concern’s CEO to remind people that it still needs to raise a lot of money to provide services.The €29 million grant will support child health initiatives in six developing countries.“We’ve been trying to make the point that this grant from Gates is for a very specific purpose –maternal and child health – for a specific number of countries; six. And we’re working in 28 countries,” said Tom Arnold, Concern’s CEO. Advertisementcenter_img Tagged with: Funding Ireland “The money they will be providing to us over the next five years represents less than 5 per cent of our budget. So we still need the resources to implement the other 95 per cent,” he said.Arnold saw the grant – the biggest individual sum Concern has ever received – as a tribute to his organisation’s track record in developing innovative responses to the effects of poverty.Since it was set up by Microsoft founder Bill Gates and his wife Melinda a decade ago, the foundation has dispersed more than $20 billion in grants to improve health and combat poverty around the world and enhance educational opportunities in the US.Three years ago, Warren Buffett – the second richest man in the US, after Gates – joined forces with the foundation, and has contributed more than $5 billion since then, with the promise of five times as much in the future.Gates and Buffett, each of whom have a personal fortune estimated at more than $50 billion, expect to give away most of their money during their lifetimes.www.concern.net About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.last_img

Leave a Reply