Confirmed: Some Donegal schools to close over ASTI action

first_imgA number of schools across Donegal will remain closed tomorrow after talks between the ASTI and the Department of Education ended today without agreement.The schools could remain closed for an indefinite period as teachers stop performing supervisory or substitution duties.The schools to close include St Eunan’s in Letterkenny and Loreto Letterkenny. Scoil Mhuire in Buncrana have said they will remain open.School boards of management will take individual decisions about whether schools are forced to close because of “health and safety issues”.The Department of Education says it has been told that about 400 schools will be closed tomorrow, affecting approximately 200,000 students.The decision by teachers to stop performing the supervisory or substitution duties comes after payments made to them for the duties was ended. Teachers had therefore been performing the supervisory or substitution in September and October without payment. The Department of Education says it stopped payment for these duties when teachers stopped working so-called ‘Croke Park hours’ was ended.Croke Park hours are additional working hours that were brought in by the Croke Park and subsequently Haddington Road agreement.ASTI teachers voted earlier this year to stop working the hours 33 Croke Park hours.Education Minister Richard Bruton has said that he is “very disappointed” that schools will be closed tomorrow.“This will cause huge disruption for 200,000 students and their parents, with particular stress caused for those in exam years,” he said.ASTI have effectively decided to close hundreds of schools indefinitely, as a result of a dispute which essentially relates to one hour a week of additional duties. ASTI members voted not to sign up to the Lansdowne Road Agreement but the department is pushing the teachers to revisit their decision.Confirmed: Some Donegal schools to close over ASTI action was last modified: November 6th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

In its latest advisory yesterday the NDRRMC said

center_img SMC bags Bulacan airport project “On the way to the airport we saw many bodies along the street,” said Philippine-born Australian Mila Ward, 53, who was waiting at the Tacloban airport to catch a military flight back to Manila.“They were covered with just anything — tarpaulin, roofing sheets, cardboards,” she said. Asked how many, she said, “Well over 100 where we passed.”No way to communicateInterior Secretary Mar Roxas said a massive rescue operation is underway. “We expect a very high number of fatalities as well as injured,” Roxas said after visiting Tacloban on Saturday. “All systems, all vestiges of modern living — communications, power, water — all are down. Media is down, so there is no way to communicate with the people in a mass sort of way.”President Benigno Aquino III, who landed in Tacloban yesterday to get a firsthand look at the disaster, said the casualties “will be substantially more” than the official count of 151 — but gave no figure or estimate. He said the government’s priority was to restore power and communications in isolated areas to allow for the delivery of relief and medical assistance to victims.The airport in Tacloban looked like a muddy wasteland of debris, with crumpled tin roofs and upturned cars. The airport tower’s glass windows were shattered, and air force helicopters were busy flying in and out at the start of relief operations. Residential homes that had lined up a 7-kilometer stretch of road leading to Tacloban City were all blown or washed away.The winds were so strong that residents who sought shelter at a local school tied down the roof of the building but it was still ripped off and the school collapsed, Lim said. It wasn’t clear how many died there.“The devastation is, I don’t have the words for it,” Roxas said. “It’s really horrific. It’s a great human tragedy.”SpeechlessDefense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said Aquino was “speechless” when he told him of the devastation the typhoon had wrought in Tacloban. Fake cop accosts real cops, is arrested in Pateros Quake disturbs Itbayat, Batanes anew MOST READ “If you’re asking me about the estimated damage and the realistic figures on the casualties, I cannot give you anything on that yet,” Maj. Roy Balido, spokesman of the NDRRMC, told the Inquirer.Asked if the NDRRMC could give an initial assessment of the extent of damage that Yolanda wrought, he said: “I don’t think we can do that now. We don’t even know the real number of casualties yet.”“We’re really having difficulties contacting local disaster risk reduction and management offices. We don’t know the real situation in the areas where we don’t have line of communications,” he addedBalido said while military units had already reached some of the devastated towns, they were unable to send the information they had gathered.The Philippine National Police (PNP) said it could not confirm if 10,000 people had really died in Leyte during the onslaught of the typhoon as reported by Chief Supt. Soria.Senior Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP spokesperson, surmised Soria’s information may have been “based on loose talks” by political leaders in the province.“We can neither confirm nor deny that information. We cannot even contact our troops there,” Sindac said.He reiterated that only the NDRRMC and its local units were authorized to provide details on casualties and damage during disasters.Chief Supt. Soria said he was briefed by Leyte Gov. Dominic Petilla late Saturday and was told there were about 10,000 deaths in the province, mostly by drowning and from collapsed buildings. The governor’s figure was based on reports from village officials.Tacloban city administrator Tecson Lim said that the death toll in the city alone “could go up to 10,000.” “Last night, we authorize the loading of one of their vessels in Sangley Point, with relief goods which we hope to finish by noon today para ma-dispatch yun papuntang Tacloban,” said Almendras, explaining that it is the same vessel carrying relief goods for Bohol.MORE STORIESnewsinfoDemocrats fight over health care, immigration at debatenewsinfoUS fighter jet crashes in Death Valley, 7 park visitors hurtnewsinfoBatanes quake left P292 M infra damage – DPWHMORE STORIESnewsinfoDemocrats fight over health care, immigration at debatenewsinfoUS fighter jet crashes in Death Valley, 7 park visitors hurtnewsinfoBatanes quake left P292 M infra damage – DPWH“We will not touch the relief goods for Bohol. Dinagdagan lang natin yung relief goods. Dadaan muna siya ng Tacloban tapos tutuloy ng Bohol,” he said.No accurate countThe National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) yesterday admitted it could not give an accurate report count on the loss of lives and properties in typhoon-hit areas because of damaged communications systems.Throughout the day yesterday, international news agencies reported that casualties could run as high as 10,000, but NDRRMC could not also verify the report which allegedly quoted Eastern Visayas police director, Chief Supt. Elmer Soria.ADVERTISEMENT Angara: Investigate DOH’s ‘constipated’ medicine distribution system View commentslast_img read more