Open letter to interior minister about newspaper editor’s abduction

first_img The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa December 1, 2020 Find out more October 7, 2020 Find out more News ChadAfrica Mr. Ahmat Mahamat BachirMinister of InteriorN’Djamena, ChadParis, 21 December 2009Dear Minister,Reporters Without Borders is extremely concerned about the fate of Cameroonian journalist Innocent Ebodé, the editor of the N’Djamena-based weekly La Voix, who was kidnapped from his home in N’Djamena yesterday. You have just said he is now in Cameroon but other sources say they think he is still in Chad.His abduction was carried out by three men in plain clothes, who pulled up outside his home in a red Toyota car with no licence plates at 10 a.m. yesterday. One of them got out, went up to Ebodé and forcibly bundled him into the car without identifying himself or explaining why Ebodé was being taken away. His relatives and colleagues have received no news of him since then.Ebodé was deported from Chad on 14 October on the grounds that his papers were allegedly not in order. He returned after a court ordered La Voix’s suspension at the start of December on the grounds that it did not have an editor. Reporters Without Borders has been criticising the Chadian government’s attempts to silence La Voix ever since the harassment of this independent newspaper first began.Our organisation energetically condemns the way Ebodé was detained yesterday. By telling Radio France Internationale and Agence France-Presse that he is now in the Cameroonian border city of Kousséri, you seem to be indicating that interior ministry personnel were involved in his “abduction.” If this is the case, we urge you to lose no time in explaining the reasons for his arrest and expulsion. As his family and lawyer are without news of him, we call on you to publicly provide more detailed information about what happened to him.We trust you will give this matter your careful consideration.Respectfully,Jean-François JulliardSecretary-General Reports News Follow the news on Chad November 27, 2020 Find out more RSF_en center_img Many historic publications threatened with closure in Chad Receive email alerts Chadian radio stations on strike in protest against violent raid to go further Organisation News Help by sharing this information December 21, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Open letter to interior minister about newspaper editor’s abduction ChadAfrica last_img read more

Governor allows 500 Chinese workers to enter Southeast Sulawesi after previous refusal

first_imgAll of the foreign workers would be subject to health protocol and put in quarantine before they were allowed to work on the project site, Ali said.”They’re working here to support investment in Southeast Sulawesi, so that our economy can recover after the COVID-19 pandemic,” he added.Read also: Police slammed for arresting producer of video showing 49 Chinese workers arriving in KendariIn April, Ali and the Southeast Sulawesi Legislative Council (DPRD) had refused entry to the foreign workers, supposedly due to concerns over COVID-19 transmission. Southeast Sulawesi Governor Ali Mazi has allowed some 500 Chinese workers to work on nickel smelter projects in the province’s Konawe regency after previously blocking their entry.Ali said he had given permission to the Chinese workers after receiving orders from Jakarta.”Regional administrations should not contradict orders from the central government,” Ali told Kompas TV on Tuesday. The Chinese workers were hired by Chinese-backed mining company PT Virtue Dragon Nickel Industry (VDNI) and PT Obsidian Stainless Steel (OSS) to install 33 pieces of smelter equipment belonging to PT OSS in Southeast Sulawesi.The companies said they had to bring in the Chinese workers because of a lack of capable local workers and said that, once the equipment was ready, the company would hire 3,000 local workers.The foreign workers were scheduled to be in Indonesia for six months and return to their home country once the installation was complete.PT VDNI external affairs manager Indrayanto said the recruitment process for the local workers had already been completed.”If the 500 foreign workers from China were to be denied entry, then around 3,000 local workers were at risk of losing their jobs,” Indrayanto said on May 11.The foreign workers are expected to come to Konawe gradually in several batches. The first 146 people are scheduled to arrive on June 23. (nal)Topics :last_img read more