to go further Reporters Without Borders has protested that a one-month suspension imposed on a local radio was “too harsh and once again completely disproportionate”.The Istanbul-based Özgür Radyo went off the air on 18 August 2004 in response to the 30-day ban ordered by the broadcast council (RTUK).”The RTUK appears to be ignoring democratic reforms undertaken in the connection with Turkish membership of the European Union,” the organisation said. “It carries on censoring at will those media it doesn’t like.””The supreme power of this body remains a major stumbling block to press freedom in the country”, Reporters Without Borders added. It called on the State Minister for the press, Besir Atalay, to intervene so that the RTUK could reconsider its decision.Özgür Radyo was accused of “incitement to violence, terror and discrimination on the basis of race, region, language, religion or sect or broadcast that gives rise to hatred in society” under Article 4 of RTUK’s Law 3984. The RTUK sanctioned the radio for referring in a press review to the front page of the 27 August 2003 issue of the daily Günlük Evrensel that said police in plain clothes had “massacred” members of the Democratic People’s Party (DEHAP) during a wedding in Adana, in the country’s south. The RTUK suspension ruling was made on 24 February 2004. The station appealed to an Ankara administrative court that upheld the sentence on 9 June this year. The RTUK has the power to revoke the radio’s licence in the event of further offences.The broadcast council regularly announces sanctions against media that are either pro-Kurd or highly critical of the government, ranging from warnings to revoking of licences.In one instance, local Günes TV in Malatya, in the east of the country, had to stop broadcasting for a month from 20 March 2004. The RTUK had accused it of “harming the existence and independence of the state, the indivisible unity of the state from its people and the reforming principles of Ataturk” (Article 4 of RTUK’s Law 3984).On 22 May 2003, a journalist, who was instantly sacked by the station, had offered his sympathy to the family of a young extreme-left militant who died after accidentally detonating an explosive charge she was carrying. RTUK invoked the same article to suspend local ART television in Diyarbakir in the south-east for one month on 1 April 2004 for broadcasting two Kurdish songs on 16 August 2003. April 2, 2021 Find out more News Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law August 24, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 One month suspension against local radio TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on Turkey News Receive email alerts News April 28, 2021 Find out more RSF_en News TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Help by sharing this information Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit April 2, 2021 Find out more Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor Organisation
Equal pay champ calls for HR data in annual reportsOn 15 Oct 2002 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Article TheGovernment’s equal pay champion Denise Kingsmill has called for HR indicatorsto be included in company’s annual reports to help reduce the 18 per cent paygap and improve corporate responsibility.Kingsmillcalled for HR measures, including retention, turnover, and diversity data, tobe made public last week, and questioned the benefit of financial reporting inthe wake of the Enron and WorldCom scandals.”Humancapital management must be moved up the agenda,” said Kingsmill at theseminar.”Itcan now be argued that financial reporting is not a good way to indicateperformance. HR measures could be better indicators of long-term growth.”Kingsmill,speaking at a seminar organised by Gissing, also questioned the UK’s workculture of presenteeism, claiming the gender pay gap would be significantlyreduced if employers embraced more flexible ways of working.Lastyear, Kingsmill produced a report for the Government recommending equal payquestionnaires and audits. Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.
The Ocean City Exchange Club’s 2015 Roger LaRosa Charity Golf Classic was held on May 4 at Linwood Country Club.The event raised money for three charities: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Atlantic & Cape May Counties, the Ocean City Ecumenical Council Food Cupboard and Clothes Closet, and the Ocean City American Legion Post 524.The club made its first presentation befittingly on Memorial Day: $10,000 to the American Legion for their building fund. Exchange Club, American Legion Post and city representatives gathered for the occasion.
Avian flu has broken out again in commercial poultry in Russia this week. More than 100,000 chickens on a farm in the southern region of Krasnodar, on the northeastern side of the Black Sea, have been killed to contain the outbreak, according to the AP. See also: The World Health Organization (WHO) said today its collaborating laboratory in Britain has confirmed the second fatal human H5N1 case in Iraq. The case, in a 39-year-old man, was announced previously by Iraq’s health ministry and the WHO. An official at Sulianti Saroso Hospital said the two patients were transferred there early today, according to the story. He said seven other patients at the hospital were being treated for suspected avian flu as well. Mar 1, 2006 (CIDRAP News) US health officials announced today they have ordered more than 14 million treatment courses of two antiviral drugs to add to the 5.5 million courses already bought in preparation for a possible influenza pandemic. Mar 1 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_03_01a/en/index.html The HHS announcement came as concern about the spread of H5N1 avian influenza continued to increase in Europe and elsewhere. The British lab is also testing samples from some suspected human cases from the northern Iraqi province of Sulaimaniyah and the southern provinces of Basra and Missan, the WHO said. In Germany, disease-control officials said the cat recently found infected with avian flu almost certainly had the deadly strain of H5N1, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report today. If so, the cat will be the first known instance of a mammal infected with the virus in Europe. Captive tigers and leopards and a few domestic cats were infected in Asia in 2004. The HHS pandemic plan calls for buying enough doses of antivirals to treat 25% of the US population, according to the release. The department didn’t say how soon it expects to receive the doses just ordered. In Indonesia, two more people, a 20-year-old and a 12-month-old, were hospitalized in Jakarta with suspected cases of avian flu, according to another AFP report today. Thomas Mettenleiter, head of Germany’s Friedrich Loeffler Institute, said the cat is believed to have eaten an infected bird, according to an Associated Press (AP) report published last night. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has ordered 12.4 million courses of oseltamivir (Tamiflu) from Roche and 1.75 million courses of zanamivir (Relenza) from GlaxoSmithKline, according to an HHS news release.
There are flash floods in parts of Letterkenny this Saturday evening after a major downpour.Heavy rain brought traffic to a crawl in parts of the town at around 4.15pm.Minor flooding has occurred on some roads, including the Ballyraine area and Polestar Roundabout. Met Eireann has forecast further showers for Ulster tonight, with some turning heavy. There is also a risk of thunder this evening.Weather: Flash flooding in parts of Letterkenny was last modified: August 3rd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Samsung phones have been known for their plastic bodies. But on Wednesday, Samsung showed an intent to move away from its tried-and-tested design for Galaxy phones and announced Galaxy Alpha, the company’s first Galaxy smartphone to sport a metal frame. Samsung Galaxy AlphaThe Galaxy Alpha is ultra thin at 6.7 mm and has a metal frame, but it retains the dimpled plastic back that we have seen before on the Galaxy S5. This way Samsung will be able to offer the phone in multiple colours without any major manufacturing hassles. In terms of hardware, the Alpha does not exactly compete with the Galaxy S5, because it has a smaller screen and Samsung has made some compromises to fit the components in the thin shell. It has a 4.7-inch 720p screen, a 12-megapixel rear camera and will have either an octa-core or quad-core processor depending on the region it is released in. In all probability for non-LTE markets, Samsung will opt for its own Exynos octa-core CPU, while Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 801 CPU will be used for markets that have LTE. This means in India, the Alpha is likely to be powered by the octa-core processor.All this horsepower is paired up with 32GB of internal storage and 2GB RAM. It does not have a microSD card for memory expansion. On the front, it has a 2.1-megapixel camera and there is a 1,860mAh battery, which can be removed by the user. Like the Galaxy S5, it also has a heart rate monitor and a fingerprint scanner integrated in the home-button. The phone runs on Android 4.4.4 KitKat wrapped in a layer of Samsung’s TouchWiz UI. advertisementThe phone will be released across the world in the beginning of September, but there is no word on an India release. It will be available in five colours – black, white, gold, silver and blue.Update : GSMArena has already benchmarked the phone and revealed the quad-core model uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 85 CPU and the octa-core version uses the Exynos 5 octa 5430 chipset. Follow writer on Twitter @DigitallyBones
Huawei India has announced a two days “Huawei Smartphone Deals sale” on the Amazon India website. The sale is live on September 4 and September 5. The company is giving discounts on phones Huawei P20 Pro, P20 Lite, Nova 3 and Nova 3i. Buyers can purchase these phones at a discounted price during the two-days sale.The sale also includes instant discounts, cashbacks and EMI options on select Huawei phones. There is a 5 per cent cashback on SBI credit card EMI purchase. Please note that these are temporary price cuts and the prices will change back to the original once the sale is over.Huawei P20 Lite Huawei P20 Lite is available at Rs 17,999, instead of its original price of Rs 19,999 during this sale. Customers can also avail 5 per cent discount on EMI purchases using an SBI card. There is also no-cost EMI options available for up to nine months.Talking about the specs, the Huawei sports a 5.84-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2280 pixels. It is powered by an octa-core processor with 4GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB of internal storage. As far as the cameras are concerned, the Huawei P20 Lite packs a 16MP primary camera on the rear and a 24MP front shooter for selfies. It is backed by a 3000mAh battery. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, FM, 3G and 4G.Huawei P20 Pro Huawei is giving a flat discount of Rs 5000 on the P20 Pro. Buyers can purchase the phone at Rs 59,999 instead of its original price tag of Rs 64,999.advertisementThe Huawei P20 Pro sports a 6.1-inch display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2240 pixels. It runs on Android 8.1. The device is powered by Octa-core processor paired with 6 GB of RAM. There is a 4000 mAh battery. It has a triple camera set up on the back comprising of 40MP+20MP+ 8MP and a 24MP selfie camera.Huawei Nova 3i Huawei Nova 3i gets a price cut of Rs 500. The device originally priced costs Rs 20,990 but is available at Rs 20,490 during the sale. SBI credit card offer, no cost EMI options for up to 9 months, and Reliance Jio deal giving extra cashback of Rs 1,200 along with partner vouchers of Rs 3,300 is also available.Huawei Nova 3i sports a 6.30-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2340 pixels. It is powered by octa-core processor and comes with 4GB of RAM. The phone packs 128GB of internal storage that can be expanded up to 256GB via a microSD card. The phone packs a 16MP primary camera on the rear and a 24MP front camera. It is backed by a 3340mAh battery.Huawei Nova 3There is no discount on the recently launched Nova 3 but Huawei is giving the SBI offer and EMI options with the phone. There is extra Rs 4000 off on exchange, cashback of Rs 1200 and additional data offer for Jio users along with partner vouchers of Rs 3,300.Huawei Nova 3 sports a 6.30-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2340 pixels. It is powered by a 1.8GHz octa-core processor with 6GB of RAM. There is 128GB of internal storage which is expandable up to 256GB via a microSD card. The Huawei Nova 3 packs a 16MP primary camera on the rear and a 24MP front camera. The Huawei Nova 3 runs Android 8.1 and is backed by a 3750mAh non removable battery.
OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear a severely ill woman’s appeal of a British Columbia court ruling that found the federal government could reargue the findings of fact used by the top court to overturn a ban on assisted dying.Julia Lamb and the B.C. Civil Liberties Association are spearheading a lawsuit that challenges the federal law on assisted dying, arguing it is more limited than the regime the Supreme Court envisioned in its landmark 2015 ruling.The plaintiffs say the federal government’s submissions in response to the lawsuit aim to re-litigate facts that were already decided in the 2015 ruling, slowing down a trial that is of urgent importance to sick Canadians.The B.C. Supreme Court and Court of Appeal have already ruled that the government should be given a second chance to argue the findings of fact, and the country’s top court declined to hear the plaintiffs’ appeal on Thursday.It dismissed the application for leave to appeal and a motion to expedite the application without costs.The federal government has asserted that new arguments are required because the latest case involves different plaintiffs, a different legal regime and a different set of issues compared with 2015.The Canadian Press
(Members of an RCMP tactical until involved in Oct. 17 raid on anti-fracking camp blocking SWN’s vehicles)APTN National NewsELSIPGOTOG FIRST NATION, NB–SWN Resources Canada is planning to resume its controversial shale gas seismic exploration work on Wednesday, according to Elsipogtog War Chief John LeviLevi said SWN’s lawyer Michael Connors, who is a partner with East Coast law firm McInnes Cooper, met with several dozen people from Elsipogtog First Nation and the surrounding communities late Sunday afternoon.Levi said Connors told the people that SWN would withdraw a lawsuit against several community members if the Houston-based firm was allowed to finish its exploration work unimpeded.“We said no, we are going to be there,” said Levi, in an interview with APTN National News. “What we told him was we are going to be there Wednesday.”The meeting was held at a longhouse erected at an anti-fracking encampment used over the past summer. The area sits off Hwy 116 near Elsipogtog First Nation.Connors told the people in the longhouse that SWN would be working for 14 days and warned them not to block the company’s movements or they would face violence.“I’m not asking anyone not to protest, but I am asking that we don’t do anything that would lead to violence,” said Connors, according to video of the meeting posted on Facebook by Brian Milliea. “Unfortunately, blockades lead to violence.”Connors said SWN just wants to finish its work and leave the area.“We don’t want violence and if we can get through two weeks then we will go away for awhile,” said Connors. “I am not saying we are not going to come back, we may not come back, but I think everybody needs some time, you know a break.”Levi told Connors that the community would not be backing down.“We are going to be there. Whatever happens, the ball is in your court. Whatever happens, you’re the ones who are going to make the calls,” said Levi, according to the nine minute video. “Us as Natives and the protectors of this land, we are going to protect it, it is our land, we never ceded this land and we are going to protect it before these waters are contaminated.”A woman in the crowd, who identified as non-Native, also pledged opposition to the exploration.“As non-Natives we are going to protect the future of our children,” said the woman, in the video. “So non-Natives and Natives are together.”SWN has faced intense and prolonged opposition to its shale gas exploration work around Elsipogtog First Nation which exploded after heavily armed RCMP tactical units raided an anti-fracking camp along Route 134 on Oct. 17. The camp was blocking several of SWN’s exploration vehicles in a compound owned by JD Irving Ltd. in Rexton, NB.While the raid freed SWN’s trucks, it sparked day-long clashes between Elsipogtog residents and the RCMP. Several RCMP vehicles were torched and about 40 people were arrested.A camp still remains on Route 134, which sits about 15 kilometres southeast of Elsipogtog.SWN was initially expected to resume its exploration work last Monday. Elsipogtog Chief Aaron Sock told reporters last Sunday that SWN’s lawyers had informed him the company was planning to finish its seismic exploration work along Hwy 11.While community members mobilized to confront the company, the thumper trucks, which are used in the seismic exploration, did not appear.Levi said Connors told the meeting that the company would be laying out geophones on a section of Hwy 11 on Tuesday and that the thumper trucks would return on Wednesday.Geophones pick up the vibrations from thumper trucks to create imaging of shale gas deposits.The exploration area is about 46 kilometres north of Elsipogtog.People in Elsipogtog and surrounding communities fear the discovery of shale gas would lead to hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. The controversial extraction method is viewed by many as posing a dire threat to water sources.“They are pretty desperate for trying to arrange something like that,” said Levi. “We are not taking the bait and we are going to be there protecting mother earth.”[email protected]
Related Items: Photo Credit: Bahamas Government Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppExuma, Bahamas, February 21, 2017 – Residents are outraged that the famous swimming pigs of Exuma, a major tourist attraction are left exposed and now some of them are dead. The Bahamas Human Society is on island and on the case, but cannot say how many of the celebrity pigs were killed or how or even if this was intentional or natural.DCIM355GOPROOne comment expressed that the Swimming Pigs of Exuma are getting the short end of the prosperity stick. The pigs are world famous, having last year been featured on the popular Today show on NBC. Whatever killed the pigs, it was cruel to hear that the bodies of the dead animals were thrown into the sea after being discovered that way… the Humane Society denied that it is as many as 15 pigs dead and told media that there are some 7 or 8 pigs still alive.Magnetic media is told by an Exuma resident that it is believed that some sickness is affecting animals in Exuma as there are even dogs being mysteriously found dead. Everyone is awaiting that official report from the Vet.#MagneticMediaNews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp