Ching Cheong could be tried at any time now that his case has gone to prosecutor’s office

first_img Organisation ChinaAsia – Pacific RSF_en —————————————–21.10.05Ching Cheong completes six months in detention on spying chargeReporters Without Borders voices outrage at the continuing detention of Hong Kong-based reporter Ching Cheong, who today completes his sixth month in solitary confinement on a trumped-up charge of spying for Taiwan which the Chinese authorities have been trying to bolster by means of smear campaigns against him and his family.The correspondent of the Singapore-based Straits Times, the 55-year-old Ching was arrested by the Chinese political police on 22 April while on his way to the southern city of Guangzhou. Several source have said he was seeking documents about former Communist Party of China leader Zhao Ziyang, who died in January.“The governments of Hong Kong and Singapore must put pressure on the authorities in Beijing to make them see reason in the Ching case, and everyone must continue to campaign on Ching’s behalf,” Reporters Without Borders, reiterating its call for his release.More than 15,000 people have already signed an international petition for his release that was launched by Reporters Without Borders and the Hong Kong Journalists Association.Ching is being held at a State Security premise in Beijing. The Chinese authorities have refused to allow anyone to visit him, including representatives of his newspaper. His wife, Mary Lau, was invited to Beijing but she was afraid of being arrested herself and did not go.The Chinese foreign ministry announced on 31 May that Ching had confessed to being a “spy in the pay of foreign agencies”. He was charged with spying for Taiwan on 5 August and faces a possible life sentence for “endangering national security.” On 17 August, the State Security turned down his wife’s request to hire a lawyer to defend him.Lau has rejected the charges against her husband, saying he always led a modest life-style with no sign of the money he allegedly received from Taiwan, and that he was always motivated by the desire to inform, not to hurt the People’s Republic of China.Reporters Without Borders is firm in its condemnation of the campaigns to smear Ching being relayed by pro-Beijing publications in Hong Kong. These have included naming a Shenzhen journalist as his accomplice and mistress. The journalist concerned immediately called a news conference in Hong Kong to deny the allegation. January 6, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ching Cheong could be tried at any time now that his case has gone to prosecutor’s office Reporters Without Borders today condemned of the transfer of detained Hong Kong-based journalist Ching Cheong’s case to the No. 2 people’s prosecutorial office in the capital, Beijing, where he is being held on charges of spying for Taiwan. “The investigation of the case has been concluded and, technically, his trial could take place today,” his wife, Mary Lau, told the Singapore-based Straits Times newspaper, for which Ching is the China correspondent.It seems that Ching is to be tried although the Chinese authorities have produced no evidence of his guilt. “We had hoped he would be freed without a trial because he is innocent,” said his wife, who has not been allowed to see him despite repeated requests. He has also not been allowed to see a lawyer during the eight months he has been held. He was arrested on 22 April.Ching is facing a heavy prison sentence. The Chinese authorities claim that he set up spying networks and held lots of military and economic information that is classified. In fact, Ching was arrested when trying to obtain the manuscripts of secret interviews with former pro-reform leader Zhao Ziyang. ———————————————————–9.12.2005Authorities extend pretrial detention for Ching Cheong for third timeReporters Without Borders today condemned a three-month extension to the pretrial detention of Hong Kong-based journalist Ching Cheong, who is being held by the state security department in Beijing on a spurious charge of spying for Taiwan. His newspaper, the Singapore-based Straits Times, said this was the third extension.“The complexity of the case invoked by the authorities to justify such a decision falls far short of concealing this violation of press freedom,” Reporters Without Borders said.Agence France-Presse reported that the length of Ching’s detention was already extended in October and November. According to Chinese law, the findings of the Ching investigation should have been handed to the state prosecutor at the start of October. Aged 55, Ching was detained on 22 April and was formally placed under arrest on 5 August. Help by sharing this information Follow the news on China Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison News News March 12, 2021 Find out more to go further ChinaAsia – Pacific April 27, 2021 Find out more China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures June 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Newslast_img read more

Patient turned away from psychiatric unit

first_imgAdvertisement No vaccines in Limerick yet WhatsApp Print Facebook Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick SCAM ALERT: HSE warn of bogus calls following cyber attack #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Email Joint Easter message on Covid 19 from Limerick City and County Council, HSE, UL Hospitals and An Garda Síochána center_img Previous articleCurran seeking to raise the barNext articlePublic warned over squatters scam Staff Reporter Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April NewsBreaking newsCommunityCrime & CourtPatient turned away from psychiatric unitBy Staff Reporter – March 6, 2014 673 Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A FORMER patient was turned away from the Acute Psychiatric Unit at University Hospital Limerick last Monday night when Gardaí brought him there for emergency admission.Arrested in connection with a criminal damage incident, the man was taken into custody where it was established that medical intervention was requiredHowever, despite Gardaí expressing grave concerns about his mental well-being, the man and his Garda escort were turned away after they arrived at the hospital’s A&E department.It is understood that the man had been in receipt of treatment at the psychiatric unit up to two weeks before the incident, but on this occasion he was refused entry to the unit.Left with no alternative, Gardaí returned with man to Newcastlewest Garda station where they were forced to charge him with a criminal offence so he could be taken into custody.On Tuesday morning, he was released by the District Court judge from Garda custody on his own bail with the order that he appear again next month.However, with nowhere to go, the man returned to Newcastlewest Garda Station and sat in the public office awaiting his fate.In a statement to the Limerick Post, the HSE said that the psychiatric unit was not full when Gardaí sought admission for the man on Monday night.In 2012, the unit’s capacity was reduced by 20 per cent, but a spokesperson for the HSE said they wanted to confirm that Unit 5B was not overcrowded on Monday night last and there were beds available for admissions.This Wednesday, the future of former patient remained unclear as he awaited prosecution on criminal charges. TAGS5BfeaturedHSEMusic Limerickpatientuniversity hospital limerick Linkedinlast_img read more