Thereare few things more annoying than waiting for unwanted animations or banner adsto download on a website when you’re in a hurry. And while some web animationcan be fun, on the whole we use the Internet to access information as quicklyas possible. The following steps (for users of version 5.5 of Internet Explorer) show howeasy it is to switch animation off. 1 – Go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options and go to the Advancedsection of the menu. 2 – You should see a number of options and scroll down these until you getto Multimedia. Set the box next to Play Animations to unchecked. 3 – If you decide to relent and let animations back into your life, reversethe above steps and restart your computer. Remember that you can also opt for a text-only browser to speed up yoursurfing, such as Lynx (www.lynx.browser.org), which only lets you view words ona website rather than pictures and animation. Related posts:No related photos. Previous Article Next Article Switching off animationOn 15 May 2001 in Personnel Today Comments are closed.
Equal pay champ calls for HR data in annual reportsOn 15 Oct 2002 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Article TheGovernment’s equal pay champion Denise Kingsmill has called for HR indicatorsto be included in company’s annual reports to help reduce the 18 per cent paygap and improve corporate responsibility.Kingsmillcalled for HR measures, including retention, turnover, and diversity data, tobe made public last week, and questioned the benefit of financial reporting inthe wake of the Enron and WorldCom scandals.”Humancapital management must be moved up the agenda,” said Kingsmill at theseminar.”Itcan now be argued that financial reporting is not a good way to indicateperformance. HR measures could be better indicators of long-term growth.”Kingsmill,speaking at a seminar organised by Gissing, also questioned the UK’s workculture of presenteeism, claiming the gender pay gap would be significantlyreduced if employers embraced more flexible ways of working.Lastyear, Kingsmill produced a report for the Government recommending equal payquestionnaires and audits. Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.
House of Yes in Brooklyn (Getty)New York City’s live music scene went silent when the pandemic began last March — but even with loosened restrictions, venue operators are hesitant to reopen.The state gave permission for small and medium indoor arts venues to reopen on April 2 at one-third capacity with a maximum of 100 people, according to the Wall Street Journal. But some venue managers claim these restrictions make it impossible to turn a profit and are keeping their doors closed.Read moreBars and and music venues across America worry they’ll never reopen NYC, New Jersey restaurants to open at 50 percent capacity Lower east side home of mercury lounge for sale Some venue owners also say that it would be difficult to restrict close physical interactions at concerts.ADVERTISEMENT“It’s pretty simple for us: It’s not financially viable,” Kae Burke, a co-founder of the House of Yes in Brooklyn, told the publication. She said the venue lost millions in revenue since it closed its doors last March.Other venues are awaiting relief funding from a federal grant program, which includes some $16 billion in grants, according to the Journal.But mostly, these owners claim that music venues needed packed crowds multiple nights a week to turn a profit. Some venues were challenged by rising rents and increased competition.A recent survey of 45 of New York’s chapter of the National Independent Venue Association found that the majority of large venues plan to reopen in the fall, the Journal reported. Eleven smaller venues and four larger venues expect to open this month, according to the survey.[WSJ] — Keith Larsen Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink Tags Share via Shortlink Andrew Cuomobrooklyn
In this study we investigate the ability of several different machine learning models to provide probabilistic predictions as to whether interplanetary shocks observed upstream of the Earth at L1 will lead to immediate (Sudden Commencements, SCs) or longer lasting magnetospheric activity (Storm Sudden Commencements, SSCs). Four models are tested including linear (Logistic Regression), non‐linear (Naive Bayes and Gaussian Process) and ensemble (Random Forest) models, and are shown to provide skillful and reliable forecasts of SCs with Brier Skill Scores (BSSs) of ~ 0:3 and ROC scores > 0:8. The most powerful predictive parameter is found to be the range in the interplanetary magnetic field. The models also produce skillful forecasts of SSCs, though with less reliability than was found for SCs. The BSSs and ROC scores returned are ~0:21 and 0.82 respectively. The most important parameter for these predictions was found to be the minimum observed BZ. The simple parameterization of the shock was tested by including additional features related to magnetospheric indices and their changes during shock impact, resulting in moderate increases in reliability. Several parameters, such as velocity and density, may be able to be more accurately predicted at a longer lead time, e.g. from heliospheric imagery. When the input was limited to the velocity and density the models were found to perform well at forecasting SSCs, though with lower reliability than previously (BSSs ~ 0:16, ROC Scores ~ 0:8), Finally, the models were tested with hypothetical extreme data beyond current observations, showing dramatically different extrapolations.
View post tag: News by topic Back to overview,Home naval-today USA: Vice Adm. Dirk Debbink Visits Reserve Staff During PANAMAX View post tag: Reserve Vice Adm. Dirk Debbink, Chief of Navy Reserve and Commander, Navy Reserve Force visited U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command and U.S. 4th Fleet (COMUSNAVSO/C4F) headquarters, Aug. 21 to meet with Reserve staff members during PANAMAX.Rear Adm. Kurt W. Tidd, COMUSNAVSO/C4F, welcomed Debbink and his delegation as they arrived at the headquarters.“We’re very proud to have Admiral Debbink visit us today,” said Tidd. “This visit is an opportunity for us to discuss how Navy Reservists fully integrate into the everyday operations of their active duty counterparts both in real world situations as well as exercises such as PANAMAX.”During his visit, Debbink toured the headquarters, and got to talk to several Reservists and got a glimpse of the Navy’s total force in action during PANAMAX.“It is great to join you this morning and see the tremendous work of the Navy’s total force for this exercise.” said Debbink. “It is not just an exercise….your contributions to the operations here at NAVSO and during PANAMAX is significant in that they prove the strategic importance of this area of responsibility.”PANAMAX is one of the largest multinational training exercises in the world. The annual U.S. Southern Command (USSOUTHCOM) sponsored exercise series focuses on ensuring the defense of the Panama Canal, crucial to the unrestricted flow of global maritime commerce.COMUSNAVSO/C4F supports U.S. Southern Command joint and combined full-spectrum military operations by providing principally sea-based, forward presence to ensure freedom of maneuver in the maritime domain, to foster and sustain cooperative relationships with international partners and to fully exploit the sea as maneuver space in order to enhance regional security and promote peace, stability, and prosperity in the Caribbean, Central and South American regions.[mappress]Source: navy, August 23, 2011; View post tag: during Authorities View post tag: Dirk View post tag: Debbink View post tag: Naval View post tag: visits View post tag: Navy August 23, 2011 View post tag: PANAMAX USA: Vice Adm. Dirk Debbink Visits Reserve Staff During PANAMAX View post tag: Staff View post tag: Vice View post tag: Adm. Share this article
CommentsFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail Federal Judge Temporarily Blocks Indiana Voter Purge LawJUNE 11TH, 2018 TYRONE MORRIS INDIANAA federal judge issues a preliminary injunction against a law that critics say would allow officials to illegally purge voters from Indiana’s election rolls.The liberal group Common Cause argues Indiana’s use of the interstate crosscheck system is discriminatory. The system finds a match based on first name, last name, and date of birth.Starting in July, elections officials would be allowed to automatically eliminate voters who show up as registered in another state.Critics argue voters can only be removed if they confirm a change of address in writing or fail to respond to mailed notices.U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt blocked the law this past Friday until the court case wraps up.
(Photo supplied/ABC 57) A 36-year-old man was killed in a shooting in Elkhart.Police were called around 8:25 p.m. on Sunday, July 5, to the 1500 block of Laurelwood Drive where they found the victim, who was later pronounced dead.Detectives from the Elkhart County Homicide Unit are investigating the case.There is no word of any arrests.Police also say there is no immediate threat to public safety.Anyone with information regarding the case is encouraged to contact the Elkhart County Homicide Unit at 574-295-2821, the Elkhart police tip line at 574-389-4777 or [email protected] Man, 36, killed in shooting on Laurelwood Drive in Elkhart WhatsApp WhatsApp Google+ Facebook By Jon Zimney – July 6, 2020 0 559 Facebook IndianaLocalNews Twitter Pinterest Previous articleFree lunchtime music in downtown South Bend begins MondayNext articleTwo charged with attack on friend in Elkhart Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Google+ Pinterest Twitter
As a company we’re committed to working with our partners to ensure we continuously develop technology that improves safety on the road for both road workers and users. We’re hugely passionate about this, and our improvements team is constantly looking at ways to innovate and pioneer new products that go towards this aim. Our main priority is to make sure everyone gets home safely at the end of the day and we look forward to expanding mobile barrier across our other UK contracts. As part of a commitment to innovation, Highways England has been running two competitions to encourage the UK’s most creative minds to come up with fresh ideas to revolutionise roads and driving.It has set aside £20 million and invited ground-breaking entries which will help develop digital roads – connected vehicles and infrastructure, design and construction that reduces cost and improves safety, better and more predictable journey times – and to improve air quality. The closure date for entries was Wednesday 8 May 2019.Meanwhile last week Highways England announced that self-driving trucks which could help speed up roadworks are being tested for the first time in England.The dump trucks, which move huge amounts of earth, provide the potential to work around the clock, so could help reduce the length of time roadworks are on the ground. And by being autonomous they reduce the risk of road workers being involved in incidents on site.Highways England has committed £150,000 from its innovation designated fund into the dump truck trial on the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon.General enquiriesMembers of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.Media enquiriesJournalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer. Dave Wright, executive director for Kier Highways, commented: The 16-tonne mobile barriers are among the latest innovations demonstrating Highways England’s commitment to investing in new technology to improve safety and minimise disruption caused by roadworks and incidents.In collaboration with Kier, the roadworker protection barriers have been brought over from the USA and launched in the West Midlands, protecting people at work sites and cutting delays by reducing the number of cones needed.If struck from the side, the barriers absorb the impact from a moving vehicle while a lorry-mounted crash cushion gives further protection at the rear. The mobile barriers act as a physical protection for both road workers and motorists.As well as improving safety, the roadworks themselves take less time to complete as fewer cones and signs have to be put out.Meanwhile, another innovation that has been put to use in the West Midlands are four new Solar CCTV Systems (SICS).Designed and built for Highways England, the mobile CCTV systems can be easily deployed to locations to provide surveillance and feed back information about traffic flows to the control room.Action can then be taken, such as traffic officers deployed or speed limits lowered, to create smoother journeys.One of the systems is in use at junction 6 of the M42, near to Birmingham Airport, where people were previously frustrated by congestion and delays. Organisations can now access the information from this camera and plan their journeys and business accordingly.The cameras offer visibility at sites where a permanent camera is not necessary, such as during roadworks.Highways England is investing £150 million in innovation to ensure it remains at the forefront of making England’s motorways and major A roads dependable, durable and safe.Martin Bolt, who is heading up the innovation projects for Highways England, said These projects demonstrate how emerging technologies, new materials, and ways of working can help improve safety and journeys on our network. The mobile barriers, which are being used for the first time in Europe, are an innovative way of looking at how we can increase protection for road workers. And they’re helping customers too, because the faster we can get the work safely done the better people’s journeys will be. Together with our partners we are demonstrating that we can make great improvements both to people’s journeys and communities and the environment around our network.
Professor Dame Sally Davies emphasises that global health security is only as strong as its weakest link, and that increasing levels of non-communicable diseases globally could undermine health systems in lower- and middle-income countries. This could jeopardise poorer countries’ ability to meet the needs of their populations and effectively engage in infectious disease control.The report consists of 21 letters from global health leaders to Dame Sally, and her responding summary, recommendations and epilogue. Dame Sally publishes these letters under 3 headings: These are the 3 interdependent conditions she proposes must be met to secure good health for all.Professor Dame Sally Davies’ report is independent of government and is primarily aimed at government, regulators, policy-makers and healthcare professionals. equity sustainability security
Hailed as one of the funkiest bands North of the border, Toronto-based After Funk continues to blaze a trail for some of the juiciest grooves around. The band continues to rise through the ranks of the funk scene, sharing the stage with groups like Snarky Puppy, Dumpstaphunk, Lettuce, TAUK and more, powered by an undeniably infectious sound.Today, the group is presenting not only a fresh new video, but revealing dates for an extensive tour throughout the spring and summer. With shows throughout the Northeast and Colorado, funk fans would be remiss not to enjoy this band’s scintillating sound. Fortunately, we’re proud to premiere the band’s brand new video for their tune, “Rage & Chuff.” According to the band’s bassist Justin Bontje, “It’s about getting chuffy. Chuffy is a term that can describe anything that stands out as being radical. Acting out against socially acceptable behaviour by doing something rash, but hip at the same time. Being chuffy has to be executed with style and swag.” Watch the new video below:Keyboardist Yanick Allwood said about the video, “We wanted to do a performance video but still wanted to reflect the nature of the song. Its kind of punk funk… where can we destroy things and not get in trouble.” It’s simply smashing.You can catch After Funk on the road throughout the year at the following tour dates below. For more information about the group, hit their website. You can also stream their album, ‘Til The Sun Comes Up, via Bandcamp.After Funk Tour DatesMay 13 – Lee’s Palace – Toronto, ONMay 14 – Alchemy Rising Festival – Pataskala, OHMay 18 – Flour City Station – Rochester, NYMay 19 – Arch Street Tavern – Hartford, CTMay 20 – Middle East Corner – Boston, MAMay 21 – Penuche’s – Manchester, NHMay 28 – Sterling Stage Folk Fest – Sterling, NYJune 18 – River City Music Festival – Bellevue, NEJune 20 – Quixote’s – Denver, COJune 21 – Sancho’s – Boulder, COJune 22 – Owlsey’s – Boulder, COJune 23 – Quixote’s – Denver, COJune 29 – The Bottleneck – Lawrence, KSJune 30 – Bernanza – Bellevue, NEJuly 3 – Sour Beer Funk Festival – Gravenhurst, ONJuly 10 – Camp Creek – Pattersonville, NYJuly 23 – Gathering at Chaffee’s – Erie, PAJuly 29 – The Waterhole – Saranac Lake, NYJuly 31 – Wild Woods Festival – Croydon, NYAugust 6 – MESSTIVAL – Anagance, NBAugust 7 – Middle Ages Brew Fest – Syracuse, NYSept 9-11 – Great North Festival – Minot, ME